2010-06-11

Judgement - a minor rant

Last night I was sitting in a chatroom, having a discussion with a few online subs and friends. It was fairly enjoyable, as conversations go. I love picking people's brains to find out what motivates and draws them, as I believe I've mentioned before.

In the middle of this conversation, I received an internal mail message from another member of the site. I don't know the person from a hole in the wall, and normally would have either ignored the message, or responded flippantly. But the content of the message annoyed me, so I responded when I probably shouldn't have.

I don't recall exact wording off the top of my head, but the essence of the message was, was I happy with my slave and his creativity? My response - First of all, lion is NOT a slave. he's a sub. There is a difference. Second of all, what does his creativity have to do with anything? Well apparently, according to this person, I could do a lot better than my lion, and apparently they're not the only one that thinks so.

Do I look like I give a crap what anyone online thinks about my lion and our relationship? As I told the individual, what is seen on the screen in an online environment isn't even the tip of the iceberg of my interactions with lion. Judging someone based on a few comments made online is rather stupid and shallow. If you don't know me, and don't know my lion, please kindly keep your mouth shut. I don't want to hear about it.

I spoke with a friend of mine about what happened. His take on it was that it sounded like someone was angling to get me to dump lion so I'd be free to take on other subs, since I've said repeatedly that I won't hand out collars to anyone, unless lion asks me for a collar brother. (Somehow, I doubt that's going to happen.) But why on earth would I ever consider taking on a sub who had badmouthed someone else in an attempt to get close to me? A bit assbackwards, if you ask me.

It reminded me of way back when, when I wore Brett's collar. I was constantly being accused of being a 'bad sub', and people kept telling him that he could do better than me, that I wasn't really a sub and that he should dump me and choose someone else. The truth was, what people saw of our interactions were only the barest pinprick of what really went on between us. Brett and I were matched in ways that most people can't even imagine, much as lion and I are matched.

So to all the people out there, who take one look at two people, and judge them based on that limited view...bite me. My lion is MINE, and nothing anyone says is going to change that.